Publicly Accessible Data
Data and documentation from American’s Changing Lives waves 1-5 are available for research use at the Intra-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR).
Americans’ Changing Lives: Waves I, II, III, IV, and V, 1986, 1989, 1994, 2002, and 2011 (ICPSR 4690)
Resources available from ICPSR:
- The ACL dataset containing deidentified respondent information and survey responses, in formats for most major statistical packages. (A subset of responses that cannot be shared without jeopardizing confidentiality are restricted [link to restricted data].)
- An interactive list of dataset variables with summary statistics for each.
- A downloadable codebook for waves 1-5.
- A crosswalk showing similarities and changes in variables across waves (i.e., to compare responses to the same question across time).
- Survey questionnaires for waves 1-5.
Data and documentation for wave 6 will be made published to ICPSR in fall 2020.
Upon completion of genetic data collection and analysis, de-identified genetic and epigenetic data will be submitted to the Database of Genotypes and Phenotypes (dbGaP) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine.